ViiV Healthcare ULC (“ViiV”) is committed to the protection of the personal information of individuals with whom it comes into contact. Accordingly, ViiV adheres to the principles set out below (the “Privacy Principles”). The Privacy Principles are based on the principles set out in Schedule 1 of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada). “Personal Information”, as used in this Code, means information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone of an employee of an organization.
- PRINCIPLE 1 - ACCOUNTABILITY ViiV is responsible for the personal information under its control and has designated an individual as its Privacy Officer who shall be accountable for the organization's compliance with the following principles
1.1 Accountability rests with the Legal Counsel, Compliance and Chief Privacy Officer of GSK, even though other individuals with the organization may be responsible for the day-to-day collection and processing of personal information. In addition, other individuals may be delegated to act on behalf of the designated individual.
1.2 ViiV shall make known, upon request, the identity, title and contact information of the person designated to oversee ViiV 's compliance with its policy.
1.3ViiV is responsible for personal information in its possession or control. As such, GSK will use appropriate means to ensure that all existing and future contracts ensure a level of privacy protection equal to ViiV 's policies when information is being processed by third parties.
1.4ViiV shall implement policies and practices to give effect to these principles, including:
(a) the implementation of procedures to protect personal information;
(b) the establishment of procedures to quickly receive and respond to complaints and inquiries;
(c) training and communicating to staff about ViiV 's policies and practices; and
(d) developing information to explain ViiV 's policies and practices.
- PRINCIPLE 2 - IDENTIFYING PURPOSES ViiV shall identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
2.1 Accountability rests with the Legal Counsel, Compliance and Chief Privacy Officer of GSK, even though other individuals with the organization may be responsible for the day-to-day collection and processing of personal information. In addition, other individuals may be delegated to act on behalf of the designated individual.
- Maintaining a record of medical queries, requests for information, complaints and adverse event reports relating to ViiV products and reporting these to relevant regulatory bodies, related companies or other companies which market the same product as may be required or prudent;
- Administering disease awareness/management programs or other similar programs organized by ViiV;
- Notifying you of matters that ViiV may be required by law to notify you of (eg., product recalls);
- Developing, implementing, marketing and managing ViiV 's products;
- In the case of Healthcare Professionals:
- Sending you material on and contacting you regarding ViiV 's activities and products or developments in pharmaceutical treatments which may be of interest to you and tailoring marketing services to suit your needs;
- Supplying you with clinical evaluation packages of ViiV products;
- Administering clinical trials or other research organized by ViiV and which you agree to participate in or be involved with;
- Identifying, developing and administering continuing education programs, conferences, symposia, expert panels, seminars or other meetings or events organized by ViiV;
- Establishing and maintaining customer relationships, including: managing, planning and arranging meetings between you and ViiV sales representatives;
- Monitoring and reviewing ViiV 's compliance with relevant codes of conduct in its dealings with you.
2.2 If we plan to use Personal Information we have collected for a purpose not previously identified, we will identify and document this purpose before such use.
2.3ViiV will make reasonable efforts to specify the identified purpose, orally or in writing, to the individual from whom the information is collected either at the time of collection or after collection but before use.
- PRINCIPLE 3 – CONSENT The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
3.1 The way in which we seek consent, including whether it is express or implied consent, may vary depending on the sensitivity of the information and the reasonable expectations of the individual. An individual may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal and contractual restrictions and reasonable notice.
3.2 ViiV will typically seek consent for the use or disclosure of personal information at the time of collection, but in certain circumstances consent may be sought after collection but before use.
3.3ViiV will only ask individuals to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of personal information as a condition of the supply or purchase of a product, if such use, collection or disclosure is required to fulfill an identified purpose.
3.4 In certain circumstances, as permitted or required by law, we may collect, use or disclose personal information without the knowledge and consent of the individual. These circumstances include: Personal Information which is subject to solicitor-client privilege or is publicly available as defined by regulation; where collection or use is clearly in the interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a time way; to investigate a breach of agreement of a contravention of the law; to act in respect to an emergency that threatens the life, health or security of an individual; for debt collection; or to comply with a subpoena, warrant or court order.
- PRINCIPLE 4 - LIMITING COLLECTION
ViiV will limit the amount and type of Personal Information collected to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by ViiV. We will only collect Personal Information by fair and lawful means.
- PRINCIPLE 5 - LIMITING USE, DISCLOSURE AND RETENTION
ViiV shall not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
5.1ViiV will not disclose personal information about you to any person except in the following circumstances, and then only that information which is necessary.
- Third parties we use in the ordinary course of our business, such as for conference organizing, marketing, data processing and associated printing and mailing;
- Companies related to ViiV for the same kinds of purposes as listed above;
- Such third parties as otherwise permitted or required by law.
5.2ViiV shall retain personal information only as long as it remains necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required by law. In some circumstances where personal information has been utilized to make a decision about an individual, ViiV shall retain that personal information for a period of time that is reasonably sufficient to allow for access by the individual.
5.3 Personal information that is no longer required to fulfill an identified purpose shall be erased, destroyed or made anonymous.
- PRINCIPLE 6 - ACCURACY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ViiV will use its best effort to ensure that Personal information is as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
6.1 Personal information used by ViiV shall be sufficiently accurate, complete and up-to-date to minimize the possibility that inappropriate information may be used to make a decision about an individual.
6.2ViiV shall not routinely update personal information about individuals, but only as and when necessary to fulfill identified purposes.
- PRINCIPLE 7 – SAFEGUARDS ViiV will protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
7.1 ViiV shall protect personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. ViiV shall protect personal information regardless of the format in which it was held.
7.2 Nature of the safeguards taken:
(a) physical measures - building security, lock boxes, etc.;
(b)organizational measures - “need to know” basis; and
(c)technological measures - use of encryption and passwords
7.3 ViiV shall make its employees aware of the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of personal information by signing a Secrecy Document as a precondition of employment.
- PRINCIPLE 8 – OPENNESS ViiV will make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
8.1 ViiV shall make information regarding its policies and practices available in a form that is generally understandable, including:
(a)how to gain access to personal information held by ViiV;
(b)the type of personal information held by ViiV, including a general account of its use;
(c)personal information available to related organizations (affiliates); and
(d) how to contact our Privacy Officer.
- PRINCIPLE 9 - INDIVIDUAL ACCESS Upon written request, ViiV will inform an individual of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and we will give the individual access to that information. An individual can challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
9.1ViiV will respond to an individual's written request for information within a reasonable period of time. We may require an individual to provide sufficient information to permit us to provide an account of the existence, use and disclosure of Personal Information. This information shall be provided in an understandable, timely and low-cost manner from the perspective of the individual.
9.2Should an individual successfully demonstrate any inaccuracy or incompleteness in the records, ViiV will make the appropriate amendments to the information. When a challenge is not resolved to the satisfaction of the individual, a statement of disagreement shall be attached to the individual's records. When appropriate, the existence of the unresolved challenge shall be transmitted to third parties having access to the information in question.
9.3 In certain situations, ViiV may not be able to provide access to all the personal information it holds about an individual. Exceptions may include information that is prohibitively costly to provide, information that contains references to other individuals, information that cannot be disclosed for legal, security, or commercial proprietary reasons, and information that is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege. The reasons for denying access shall be provided by ViiV upon request.
- PRINCIPLE 10 - CHALLENGING COMPLIANCE An individual can address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated person accountable for ViiV 's compliance with the policy.
10.1 ViiV will investigate all complaints. If a complaint is found to be justified, ViiV will take appropriate measures, including, if necessary, amending its policies and practices.
How to contact the Privacy Officer:
Access request, inquiries or complaints should be addressed in writing to:
7333 Mississauga Road